***So apparently I wrote this post back in August and forgot to publish it! I found it today and considered deleting it/altering it to fit the present but I kinda like it. It's funny to look back and see how much things have already changed!
Hi everybody! Can't believe it's August already, summer goes by so fast, wow the weather sure is something, yep I'm excited for college . . . !!!
Ok now we're all caught up ;)
I want to sneak in a few quick posts before I'm all tied up at Marquette (!!!) so here's a little update on what's going on, plus a super-powered (and punny) recipe from my fav olympian.
- Podcasts. I'm lovin' them. My favorites right now are NPR, Storycorps, and Invisibilia. I love to have them on when I'm packing, baking, or biking, and it's my favorite way to keep up on current events. My conversations pretty much exclusively start with "so I was listening to this podcast..." Yeah, I probably sound really pretentious.
- Books. This isn't new at all BUT here's what I'm reading right now:
- You Will Know Me is about an ultra-talented young gymnast who gets mixed up in a murder. Sounds a little cheesy but I really liked it. Fast read, lots of plot twists. Ending was so-so. Incidentally I heard about this one on a podcast.
- What I Told My Daughter - the cover says "Lessons from leaders on raising the next generation of empowered women." That was enough info for me to be like YES OK I'll read this. Highly recommend. Lean in, women.
- The Cursed Child - this is a no from me. I could rant for hours about the poor character development and lack of plot depth, but I'll leave it at that.
- Anything and everything by Frederick Bachman. Alllll the heart eye emojis. The man is goals.
- Violin covers of popular songs. Ok, I swear I'm not as geeky as this post is making me sound so far. There's a few different channels and they do songs like Blank Space, Uptown Funk, etc. I don't usually listen to that type of music, but it sounds so cool. It's hard to explain, so just click the link and listen for yourself. Uptown Funk , Chandelier , The Cello Song <- (my favorite)
- Shalane Flanagan's cookbook! Run Fast. Eat Slow. is a guide to the Olympic marathoner's fueling gameplan. It's full of mouthwatering recipe ideas and sets a great example for all kinds of athletes. She encourages a no-restriction lifestlye. Lots of real, whole, foods, lots of good fats, not a lot (but some) of sugar + meat, and everything in moderation. Shalane is just such a good role model for young runners—especially females, who tend to struggle the most with eating disorders—reminding us, food is not the enemy. Food is fuel.
- Oh, and you know what I'm NOT loving lately? Paperwork. Why so much paperwork NCAA?!?!?!
That's all for now, but I'll leave you with this recipe for a hot pink drink that gets its beautiful color from beets! It may sound weird, but beets are actually really sweet, and the roasting brings that out even more. Blended with creamy banana, rich almond butter, and hydrating coconut water, slurp this whenever you need a healthy and delicious boost.
Can't Beet Me Smoothie (See? Punny)
- 1 cooked beet
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 inch fresh ginger (peel with the edge of a spoon)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
Blend all ingredients until smooth. That's it!